Security and Privacy
Revised March 17, 2023
Welcome to Genus, where our mission is to build communities of care around every person in need. We believe in harnessing the power of technology, communication, and artificial intelligence (AI) to foster deeper connections, improve relationships, and bring out the best within all of us.
In a nutshell, our policies cover the following key points:
- Your privacy is a top priority, and we strive to protect your personal information.
- We outline the terms and conditions that govern your use of Genus’ services and platform.
- We explain how we handle and store your data, as well as how we may share it with third parties in certain circumstances.
- We describe your rights and options when it comes to managing your information and account.
- We utilize AI to enrich your experience, personalize content, and provide better support while maintaining your privacy.
Thank you for joining us on this journey to reconnect to what matters most.
Terms of service
Welcome to Genus, a platform committed to creating communities of care around individuals in need. We believe in the power of technology, communication, and AI to foster deeper connections and improve relationships, helping us all thrive together.
As you embark on this journey with us, it’s important to understand the Terms of Service that govern your use of our platform and services. These terms outline the rules, responsibilities, and rights that come with being a part of the Genus community.
In this Introduction, we’ll provide you with a high-level overview of the key points addressed in our Terms of Service:
- User Eligibility: You must meet specific age and other eligibility requirements to use our platform and services.
- User Accounts: You’ll need to create an account with accurate information to access and use our services.
- User Conduct: We expect all users to act responsibly and respect others within the community, adhering to guidelines and rules.
- Intellectual Property: We clarify our rights regarding the content, trademarks, and other intellectual property on our platform.
- Third-Party Services: We may integrate or partner with third-party services, and it’s important to understand their respective terms and policies.
- Limitations of Liability and Disclaimer of Warranties: We outline the extent of our responsibilities and disclaim certain warranties related to our services.
- Termination: We reserve the right to terminate or suspend user accounts for violating our Terms of Service.
- Governing Law and Dispute Resolution: We specify the governing law and processes for resolving disputes related to our platform and services.
Please note that this introduction serves only as a brief summary, and we encourage you to read the complete Terms of Service to fully understand your rights and responsibilities as a user of Genus.
By using our platform and services, you agree to comply with these terms, and together, we can create a more connected and supportive world. Thank you for joining the Genus community.
To ensure a clear understanding of our Terms of Service, we provide definitions for key terms used throughout the document:
- “Genus,” “we,” “us,” or “our” refers to the company Genus, Inc., which owns and operates the Genus platform and services.
- “User,” “you,” or “your” refers to any individual or entity that accesses, browses, or uses the Genus platform or services, including registered members and visitors.
- “Platform” refers to the Genus website, mobile application, and any other related online or offline services provided by Genus.
- “Services” refers to all the features, functionalities, tools, content, and information provided by or through the Genus platform, including any updates or enhancements.
- “Content” includes, but is not limited to, text, graphics, images, photos, videos, audio, information, data, software, and any other materials made available through the Genus platform or services.
- “User Content” refers to any Content that users submit, post, upload, or otherwise make available through the Genus platform or services, including but not limited to, messages, comments, reviews, and user profiles.
- “Account” means the user account created by a User for accessing and using the Genus platform and services.
- “Profile” refers to a User’s personal information, preferences, settings, and User Content provided or stored within their Account.
- “Third-Party Services” refers to any services, websites, applications, or content provided by third parties and made available or integrated with the Genus platform or services.
- “Terms” or “Agreement” refers to these Terms of Service, including any amendments or updates made by Genus from time to time.
Please note that some terms may be defined in specific sections of the Terms of Service. We encourage you to review the entire document for a comprehensive understanding of your rights and obligations when using the Genus platform and services.
User Eligibility and Registration
- Eligibility: The Genus platform and services are intended for use by individuals who are at least 13 years of age. By accessing, browsing, or using the Genus platform and services, you represent and warrant that you meet this age requirement. If you are under the age of 13, you are not permitted to use the Genus platform or services. Users under 18 years of age may use the Genus platform and services with the consent and supervision of a parent or legal guardian who agrees to be bound by these Terms of Service on their behalf.
- Account Registration: In order to access certain features and functionalities of the Genus platform and services, you may be required to create an Account. When registering for an Account, you agree to provide accurate, current, and complete information about yourself as prompted by the registration process. You also agree to update your information as necessary to maintain its accuracy and completeness.
- Account Security: You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your Account login credentials, including your username and password. You agree not to share your login credentials with any third party or allow any unauthorized individual to access your Account. You are solely responsible for all activities that occur under your Account, whether authorized or not. If you become aware of any unauthorized access to your Account or any breach of security, you must notify Genus immediately.
- Account Termination: Genus reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to suspend or terminate your Account and access to the Genus platform and services at any time and for any reason, including but not limited to, a violation of these Terms of Service, applicable laws, or any activity that may harm the reputation or interests of Genus or its users. You may also choose to terminate your Account at any time by following the instructions provided within the Genus platform.
- Responsibility for User Content: You are solely responsible for any User Content you submit, post, upload, or otherwise make available through your Account on the Genus platform or services. You represent and warrant that you have all necessary rights and permissions to share your User Content and that your User Content does not violate any applicable laws, third-party rights, or these Terms of Service.
User Conduct and Responsibilities
- Compliance with Laws: You agree to use the Genus platform and services in compliance with all applicable federal, state, local, and international laws, rules, and regulations. You are solely responsible for ensuring that your use of the Genus platform and services does not violate any legal or regulatory requirements in your jurisdiction.
- Prohibited Conduct: By using the Genus platform and services, you agree not to engage in any conduct that is harmful, unlawful, or otherwise inappropriate, including, but not limited to:
- Posting, uploading, or sharing content that is defamatory, libelous, obscene, violent, harassing, discriminatory, or otherwise offensive or inappropriate;
- Infringing upon the intellectual property rights of Genus or any third party;
- Interfering with the operation of the Genus platform or services or the servers, networks, or systems used to make the platform and services available;
- Attempting to gain unauthorized access to any part of the Genus platform, services, or other users’ accounts;
- Impersonating any person or entity, or misrepresenting your identity, affiliation, or connection to any person or entity;
- Engaging in any activity that may harm or exploit minors in any way;
- Using the Genus platform or services to engage in any illegal or unethical activities, such as fraud, phishing, or the distribution of malware, viruses, or other harmful software;
- Engaging in any activity that may disrupt or interfere with the ability of others to use and enjoy the Genus platform and services;
- Harvesting or collecting personal information about other users without their consent, or for any unlawful purpose;
- Using any automated system, such as bots, crawlers, or scripts, to access, use, or interact with the Genus platform and services without prior written permission from Genus.
- Reporting Violations: If you become aware of any violation of these Terms of Service, including any unauthorized or inappropriate conduct by other users, you agree to promptly notify Genus at email@example.com. Genus reserves the right, but has no obligation, to investigate and take appropriate action in response to any reported violations, including removing or modifying content, suspending or terminating accounts, or cooperating with law enforcement authorities.
- Modification and Termination of Services: Genus reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to modify, suspend, or discontinue the Genus platform and services, or any part thereof, at any time and for any reason, without prior notice or liability to you. Genus also reserves the right to terminate your access to the platform and services if you violate these Terms of Service or engage in any conduct that Genus, in its sole discretion, believes to be harmful or inappropriate.
- Indemnification: You agree to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless Genus, its affiliates, and their respective officers, directors, employees, and agents from and against any and all claims, damages, losses, liabilities, costs, and expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) arising out of or related to your use of the Genus platform and services, your violation of these Terms of Service, or your infringement or violation of any rights of another party.
SMS genusCode Messing Policy
- When you opt-in to the service, we will send you an SMS message to confirm your signup.
- genusCODE is a way of delivering care related information directly to your mobile device that you’ve elected to receive, these messages usually contain a link that bring you a care community with Videos, tips and care resources.
- You can cancel the SMS service at any time. Just text “STOP” to the short code. After you send the SMS message “STOP” to us, we will send you an SMS message to confirm that you have been unsubscribed. After this, you will no longer receive SMS messages from us. If you want to join again, just sign up as you did the first time and we will start sending SMS messages to you again.
- If at any time you forget what keywords are supported, just text “HELP” to the short code. After you send the SMS message “HELP” to us, we will respond with instructions on how to use our service as well as how to unsubscribe.
- We are able to deliver messages to the following mobile phone carriers: Major carriers: AT&T, Verizon Wireless, Sprint, T-Mobile, MetroPCS, U.S. Cellular, Alltel, Boost Mobile, Nextel, and Virgin Mobile. Minor carriers: Alaska Communications Systems (ACS), Appalachian Wireless (EKN), Bluegrass Cellular, Cellular One of East Central IL (ECIT), Cellular One of Northeast Pennsylvania, Cincinnati Bell Wireless, Cricket, Coral Wireless (Mobi PCS), COX, Cross, Element Mobile (Flat Wireless), Epic Touch (Elkhart Telephone), GCI, Golden State, Hawkeye (Chat Mobility), Hawkeye (NW Missouri), Illinois Valley Cellular, Inland Cellular, iWireless (Iowa Wireless), Keystone Wireless (Immix Wireless/PC Man), Mosaic (Consolidated or CTC Telecom), Nex-Tech Wireless, NTelos, Panhandle Communications, Pioneer, Plateau (Texas RSA 3 Ltd), Revol, RINA, Simmetry (TMP Corporation), Thumb Cellular, Union Wireless, United Wireless, Viaero Wireless, and West Central (WCC or 5 Star Wireless). ***Carriers are not liable for delayed or undelivered messages***
- As always, message and data rates may apply for any messages sent to you from us and to us from you. When texting sending a genusCode you will receive a confirmation link, clicking on this link will provide access to those resources. When you accept the terms for accessing those resources, you may choose to receive additional messages to help you on your care journey. If you have any questions about your text plan or data plan, it is best to contact your wireless provider. For all questions about the services provided by this short code, you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Artificial Intelligence and Personalization
Care is personal, and each case is unique, with different factors and dynamics at play. Genus uses artificial intelligence (AI) technologies to help identify opportunities to make recommendations for content, services, and suggestions to improve conversations and activities, and when asked, to help assess conditions. By using our platform, you acknowledge and agree that Genus may analyze and process your deidentified data to deliver a more tailored and relevant experience.
As AI is an emerging technology, we hold hope that it may become a powerful assistant in helping patients and caregivers communicate, coordinate, and better understand our needs emotionally, socially, physically, financially, and medically. However, as a user, you understand that AI-driven insights may not always be perfect and should not be solely relied upon for critical decision-making. Genus is not responsible for any errors or inaccuracies resulting from the use of AI technologies within our platform.
We are committed to ensuring the ethical use and application of AI. We may periodically ask users for feedback on AI-generated recommendations, allowing our community to contribute to the collective wisdom. By using our platform and services, you agree to provide feedback in a manner that encourages supportive and purposeful communication, with the intent of sharing your insights for the benefit of others. Your feedback will contribute to the ongoing improvement of our AI systems, ensuring they remain ethical and effective in delivering personalized experiences to our users.
Intellectual Property Rights
- Ownership of Intellectual Property: All content, features, and functionality available on or through the Genus platform and services, including but not limited to text, graphics, logos, icons, images, audio clips, video clips, data compilations, software, and the overall design and layout of the platform (collectively, “Genus Content”), are the property of Genus, its licensors, or other respective owners and are protected by United States and international copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, and other intellectual property or proprietary rights laws.
- Limited License to Use Genus Content: Subject to your compliance with these Terms of Service, Genus grants you a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable license to access and use the Genus platform and services and to view and interact with the Genus Content solely for your personal, non-commercial use. This license does not grant you any rights to use the Genus Content for any other purpose or to reproduce, distribute, modify, publicly display, publicly perform, or create derivative works based on the Genus Content, without the prior written consent of Genus or the respective copyright owner.
- Trademarks: The Genus name, logo, and any other product or service names, logos, or slogans used by Genus in connection with the platform and services are trademarks of Genus or its licensors and may not be copied, imitated, or used, in whole or in part, without the prior written permission of Genus or the applicable trademark owner. All other trademarks, registered trademarks, product names, and company names or logos mentioned on the platform or in the services are the property of their respective owners and may not be used without permission.
- User Content and License: You may be able to submit, upload, or otherwise contribute content to the Genus platform and services, including but not limited to text, images, audio, video, and other materials (collectively, “User Content”). You retain all ownership rights in your User Content, and by submitting or uploading User Content, you grant Genus a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicensable, and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the User Content in connection with the platform and services and Genus’s (and its successors’ and affiliates’) business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the platform and services (and derivative works thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels. You represent and warrant that you have all rights, permissions, and consents necessary to submit the User Content and to grant the license described above.
- Feedback: If you provide any suggestions, ideas, or feedback to Genus regarding the platform, services, or Genus Content (collectively, “Feedback”), you agree that Genus may use, disclose, reproduce, distribute, and otherwise exploit such Feedback without any obligation or compensation to you. You hereby grant Genus a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, fully paid-up, sublicensable, and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the Feedback in connection with the platform, services, and Genus’s (and its successors’ and affiliates’) business.
Payment Terms (if applicable)
- Fees for Services: Certain features or services offered on or through the Genus platform may be subject to fees, including but not limited to subscription fees, one-time charges, or other fees (“Fees”). You agree to pay all applicable Fees related to your use of the platform and services. Genus reserves the right to change the Fees at any time, and any such changes will become effective upon notice to you.
- Payment Methods: To pay Fees, you may be required to provide a valid credit card, debit card, or other payment methods accepted by Genus (“Payment Method”). By providing a Payment Method, you represent and warrant that you are authorized to use the selected Payment Method and that you authorize Genus (or its designated payment processor) to charge your Payment Method for the total amount of the Fees, including any applicable taxes and other charges. If the Payment Method cannot be verified, is invalid, or is otherwise not acceptable, your access to the platform or services may be suspended or terminated until a valid Payment Method is provided.
- Automatic Renewal (if applicable): If you have chosen a subscription-based service, your subscription may automatically renew at the end of the subscription period, unless you cancel your subscription before the end of the current subscription period. The cancellation will take effect at the end of the current subscription period. If you do not cancel your subscription, Genus (or its designated payment processor) will automatically charge your Payment Method for the renewal subscription period at the then-current subscription rate.
- Refunds and Cancellations: Unless otherwise specified in the terms applicable to a particular service, all Fees are non-refundable, and no refunds or credits will be provided for partially used subscription periods or unused services. To cancel a subscription, you must follow the instructions provided on the platform or contact Genus customer support. Cancellation requests must be submitted at least 48 hours before the end of the current subscription period to avoid being charged for the renewal subscription period.
- Late Payments: If you fail to pay any Fees when due, Genus may suspend or terminate your access to the platform and services, and you may be responsible for any costs associated with collecting overdue payments, including but not limited to attorneys’ fees and collection agency fees. Genus reserves the right to charge interest on any overdue payments at the rate of 1.5% per month or the highest rate allowed by applicable law, whichever is lower, calculated from the date the payment was due until the date the payment is received.
Termination and Suspension
- Termination by You: You may terminate your account and discontinue using the Genus platform and services at any time, for any reason, by contacting Genus customer support or following the account cancellation process provided on the platform. Upon termination, you will no longer have access to your account and any associated content or data. Please note that termination of your account will not entitle you to any refunds for any paid services, and you will remain responsible for any outstanding balances or fees, if applicable.
- Termination by Genus: Genus reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to terminate or suspend your account and access to the platform and services at any time, without notice, for any reason, including but not limited to:
- Breach of these Terms of Service or any other agreement between you and Genus; b. Non-payment of any applicable fees; c. Suspected fraudulent, illegal, or unauthorized activity; d. Prolonged inactivity or abandonment of your account; or e. Any other reason Genus deems necessary to protect the integrity of the platform, services, or its users.
- Effects of Termination: Upon termination of your account, all rights, licenses, and permissions granted to you under these Terms of Service will immediately cease, and you must promptly remove any Genus platform or service-related content or data from your devices. Genus may, in its sole discretion, delete or retain any content, data, or information associated with your account for a period of time following termination.
- Suspension: In addition to termination, Genus may, in its sole discretion, temporarily suspend your account and access to the platform and services for any reason, including but not limited to those listed in Section 2 above. During any suspension period, you may not access or use the platform or services, and you will not be entitled to any refunds for any paid services. Upon resolution of the issue that led to the suspension, Genus may, in its sole discretion, reinstate your account and access to the platform and services.
- Survival: Any provisions of these Terms of Service that, by their nature, should survive termination or suspension, including but not limited to ownership provisions, warranty disclaimers, indemnity, and limitations of liability, shall survive and continue to apply following the termination or suspension of your account.
Disclaimers and Limitation of Liability
- Disclaimers: The Genus platform and services are provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis, without any warranties, express or implied, including but not limited to warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title, non-infringement, or any other warranties arising out of course of dealing or usage of trade. Genus does not warrant that the platform, services, or any content therein will be uninterrupted, error-free, secure, accurate, or reliable, or that any defects or errors will be corrected. Genus does not warrant or make any representations regarding the use or the results of the use of the platform, services, or any content therein, in terms of their correctness, accuracy, reliability, or otherwise.
- No Medical or Legal Advice: The Genus Services are designed solely to support and facilitate your relationship with physicians, health care professionals, and legal professionals. Genus is not a health care provider or an attorney, and we do not offer medical or legal advice. Our Services are not intended to provide medical or legal information or to replace the advice of healthcare and legal professionals. Our goal is to help you take control and manage health-related data.
- Limitation of Liability: In no event shall Genus, its affiliates, officers, directors, employees, agents, licensors, or suppliers be liable to you or any third party for any indirect, incidental, special, consequential, punitive, or exemplary damages (including, without limitation, damages for loss of profits, goodwill, use, data, or other intangible losses) arising out of or in connection with your use of, inability to use, or the performance of the platform, services, or any content therein, whether based on warranty, contract, tort (including negligence), or any other legal theory, and whether or not Genus has been advised of the possibility of such damages.
- Maximum Liability: To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, Genus’s total cumulative liability to you or any third party arising from or in connection with these Terms of Service, the platform, services, or any content therein, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), or otherwise, shall in no event exceed the amount you have paid to Genus for the use of the platform and services in the twelve (12) months immediately preceding the event giving rise to the liability.
- Jurisdictional Limitations: Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion of certain warranties or the limitation or exclusion of liability for certain damages. Accordingly, some of the above disclaimers and limitations of liability may not apply to you. To the extent that Genus may not, as a matter of applicable law, disclaim any implied warranty or limit its liabilities, the scope and duration of such warranty and the extent of Genus’s liability shall be the minimum permitted under such applicable law.
- Indemnification: You agree to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless Genus, its affiliates, officers, directors, employees, agents, licensors, and suppliers from and against any and all claims, liabilities, damages, losses, or expenses, including reasonable attorneys’ fees and costs, arising out of or in any way connected with your access to or use of the platform, services, or any content therein, your violation of these Terms of Service, or your infringement or violation of any third-party rights, including intellectual property rights.
- User Indemnification: You agree to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless Genus, its affiliates, officers, directors, employees, agents, licensors, and suppliers from and against any and all claims, liabilities, damages, losses, or expenses, including reasonable attorneys’ fees and costs, arising out of or in any way connected with your access to or use of the platform, services, or any content therein, your violation of these Terms of Service, or your infringement or violation of any third-party rights, including intellectual property rights.
- Genus Indemnification: Genus agrees to defend, indemnify, and hold you harmless from and against any and all claims, liabilities, damages, losses, or expenses, including reasonable attorneys’ fees and costs, arising out of or in any way connected with a claim that the platform or services infringe upon any third-party intellectual property rights, provided that you promptly notify Genus in writing of any such claim, allow Genus to control the defense and settlement of such claim, and cooperate with Genus in the defense and settlement of such claim.
- Exclusive Remedy: This indemnification section states the indemnifying party’s sole liability to, and the indemnified party’s exclusive remedy against, the other party for any type of claim described in this section.
- Notice and Cooperation: In the event of a claim for indemnification under this section, the indemnified party shall promptly notify the indemnifying party in writing of any such claim and provide reasonable cooperation, at the indemnifying party’s expense, in the defense and settlement of such claim. The indemnifying party shall have sole control over the defense and settlement of such claim, provided that the indemnified party shall have the right to participate in such defense with its own counsel at its own expense.
Governing Law and Jurisdiction
- Governing Law: These Terms of Service, and any disputes arising out of or relating to these Terms, the platform, or the services, shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Michigan, United States, without regard to its conflict of law principles.
- Jurisdiction: You agree that any legal action or proceeding arising out of or relating to these Terms of Service or your use of the platform or services shall be brought exclusively in the federal or state courts located in Macomb County, Michigan, United States. You hereby consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of such courts and waive any objections thereto, including but not limited to objections based on forum non convenient.
- Time Limitation: You agree that regardless of any statute or law to the contrary, any claim or cause of action arising out of or related to the use of the platform or services or these Terms of Service must be filed within ninety (90) days after such claim or cause of action arose, or be forever barred.
Dispute Resolution and Arbitration
- Informal Dispute Resolution: In the event of any dispute, claim, question, or disagreement arising from or relating to these Terms of Service, the platform, or the services, you and Genus agree to use reasonable efforts to resolve such dispute, claim, question, or disagreement directly through consultation and negotiation in good faith, which shall be a precondition to either party initiating a lawsuit or arbitration.
- Binding Arbitration: If the parties are unable to resolve the dispute through informal dispute resolution, both you and Genus agree that any dispute, claim or controversy arising out of or relating to these Terms of Service or the breach, termination, enforcement, interpretation or validity thereof, shall be determined by binding arbitration instead of in courts of general jurisdiction. The arbitration shall be conducted by a single arbitrator, governed by the rules of the American Arbitration Association (“AAA”) that are in effect at the time the arbitration is initiated, and under the terms set forth in these Terms of Service.
- Arbitration Procedures: The arbitration shall be held in Macomb County, Michigan, United States or another location that both parties agree upon in writing. The arbitrator’s decision shall be final, binding, and enforceable in any court of competent jurisdiction. The arbitrator shall render a written award and statement of decision describing the essential findings and conclusions on which the award is based, including the calculation of any damages awarded.
- Costs of Arbitration: Payment of all filing, administration, and arbitrator fees will be governed by the AAA’s rules. Each party will be responsible for their own attorneys’ fees and other costs unless the arbitrator determines that a party is entitled to recover such fees and costs under applicable law.
- Class Action Waiver: You and Genus agree that each may bring claims against the other only in your or its individual capacity and not as a plaintiff or class member in any purported class or representative proceeding. Further, you agree that the arbitrator may not consolidate more than one person’s claims, and may not otherwise preside over any form of a representative or class proceeding.
- Exceptions: Notwithstanding the foregoing, nothing in this section shall prevent either party from seeking injunctive or other equitable relief from the courts for matters related to data security, intellectual property, or unauthorized access to the platform or services.
Changes to the Terms
- Modification: Genus reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to modify or replace these Terms of Service at any time. If a revision is material, Genus will make reasonable efforts to provide at least 30 days’ notice prior to any new terms taking effect. Material changes could include, but are not limited to, the introduction of new services, changes in the existing services, or changes in the legal or regulatory requirements that apply to Genus and its services.
- Notification: When we make changes to these Terms of Service, we will notify you by posting the updated terms on our platform, and/or by sending you an email or other notification. It is your responsibility to review these Terms of Service periodically for any changes.
- Continued Use: Your continued use of the platform and the services following the posting of any changes to these Terms of Service constitutes acceptance of those changes. If you do not agree to the new terms, you must stop using the platform and the services, and if necessary, close your account.
- Effective Date: The date at the top of these Terms of Service indicates when they were last revised. Any changes will become effective upon the date of revision, unless otherwise specified in the updated terms.
- Entire Agreement: These Terms of Service, along with any other applicable agreements or policies, constitute the entire agreement between you and Genus with respect to your use of the platform and the services, superseding any prior agreements, understandings, or negotiations between you and Genus.
- Severability: If any provision of these Terms of Service is found by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid or unenforceable, that provision will be limited or eliminated to the minimum extent necessary, and the remaining provisions will remain in full force and effect.
- Waiver: The failure of Genus to exercise or enforce any right or provision of these Terms of Service will not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. No waiver of any term of these Terms of Service will be deemed a further or continuing waiver of such term or any other term.
- Assignment: You may not assign or transfer these Terms of Service or any of your rights or obligations under these Terms without the prior written consent of Genus. Genus may assign or transfer these Terms of Service, in whole or in part, without restriction or notification.
- Headings: The section headings in these Terms of Service are for convenience only and have no legal or contractual effect.
- Force Majeure: Genus will not be liable for any failure or delay in performance under these Terms of Service due to circumstances beyond its reasonable control, including but not limited to acts of God, war, terrorism, strikes, labor disputes, fires, floods, earthquakes, governmental actions, or any other event that may be deemed a force majeure event.
- Notices: All notices or other communications required or permitted under these Terms of Service must be in writing and will be deemed given when delivered personally, sent by certified or registered mail, return receipt requested, or sent by email.
Please take the time to read this Policy carefully, as it is a legally binding agreement between you and Genus and your authorized Care Partners (“we,” “us,” or “our”). By accessing or using the Services, you agree to the collection, use, and disclosure of your personal information as described in this Policy. If you do not agree to this Policy, please do not use the Services.
We may occasionally update this Policy to reflect changes in our Services, applicable laws, or industry practices. When we do, we will notify you by posting the updated Policy on our website or within our mobile applications, and the changes will be effective from the date of posting. Your continued use of the Services after such changes will constitute acceptance of the revised Policy. It is your responsibility to regularly review this Policy to stay informed about any updates or changes.
Thank you for trusting Genus and your authorized Care Partners with your personal information, and let’s work together to create a more caring and connected world
- “Personal Information”: Any information that can be used to identify, locate, or contact an individual, either directly or indirectly, and includes, but is not limited to, name, email address, phone number, postal address, date of birth, and health-related information.
- “Authorized Care Partners”: Organizations or individuals whom you have authorized to use the Genus platform to provide you with care services, including but not limited to, content, engagement, coaching calls, and information.
- “Services”: The website, mobile applications, and any other features or services provided by Genus and your Authorized Care Partners.
- “User”: Any individual who accesses or uses the Services, including you.
- “User Content”: Any data, text, images, videos, or other content that Users submit, post, or otherwise provide through the Services.
- “Third-Party Services”: Any websites, platforms, or services operated by third parties that may be linked to or integrated with the Services.
Information Collection and Use
In order to provide you with the best possible experience and services, we collect and use different types of information. Below, we outline the categories of information we collect and how we use it:
Information you provide to us: When you register for an account, use our Services, or interact with us in any way, you may provide us with Personal Information, such as your name, email address, phone number, and other relevant details. We use this information to create and manage your account, provide you with the Services, communicate with you, and personalize your experience.
User Content: You may submit, post, or otherwise provide User Content through the Services. We use this information to facilitate your use of the Services and provide personalized recommendations, support, and services to you and your Authorized Care Partners.
Information from Authorized Care Partners: We may receive information about you from Authorized Care Partners with whom you have a relationship. We use this information to provide you with Services, personalize your experience, and improve our offerings.
Information from Third-Party Services: If you choose to connect your account with any Third-Party Services, we may receive information from those services, such as your profile information or other data. We use this information to enhance your experience with the Services and to provide additional features and functionality.
Automatically Collected Information: When you use the Services, we automatically collect certain information, such as your IP address, device type, operating system, browser type, and usage patterns. We use this information to understand how Users interact with our Services, improve performance, and provide personalized experiences.
Aggregate Information: We may use your information to create aggregated, non-personally identifiable data sets for statistical analysis, research, or other purposes. This information helps us understand trends, patterns, and other insights that can help us improve our Services and develop new features.
Artificial Intelligence and Personalization
Care is personal, and each case is unique, with different factors and dynamics at play. We use artificial intelligence (AI) technologies to analyze and process your deidentified personal information to enhance your experience on our platform, deliver personalized content, services, and suggestions for improving conversations and activities, and when asked, to help assess conditions. By doing so, we aim to provide a more relevant and engaging experience for our users.
As AI is an emerging technology, we hold hope that it may become a powerful assistant in helping patients and caregivers communicate, coordinate, and better understand our needs emotionally, socially, physically, financially, and medically. We are committed to safeguarding your privacy and ensuring that your personal information is used responsibly. We implement appropriate security measures and data anonymization techniques to protect your privacy while utilizing AI-driven insights.
From time to time, we may ask you for feedback on AI-generated recommendations, allowing you to contribute to the collective wisdom of our community. When prompted, you agree to act in a way that encourages supportive and purposeful communication, with the intent of sharing your insights so others may benefit. Your feedback will help improve our AI systems, ensuring they remain ethical and effective in delivering personalized experiences to our users.
Cookies and Similar Technologies
- Cookies: Cookies are small text files that are stored on your device when you visit a website. They help us remember your preferences, understand your usage patterns, and provide a more seamless and personalized experience. We use both session cookies (which expire when you close your browser) and persistent cookies (which remain on your device until you delete them or they expire).
- Web Beacons: Web beacons (also known as pixel tags or clear GIFs) are small, transparent images that are embedded in web pages or emails. They allow us to track user activities, such as when you open an email from us or visit a particular page on our website.
We use these technologies for various purposes, including:
- Authentication: To recognize you when you access our Services and keep you logged in during your visit.
- Personalization: To remember your preferences, such as your preferred language or display settings, and provide a tailored experience.
- Analytics and Performance: To understand how Users interact with our Services, identify trends, and gather statistical information to improve performance and enhance the user experience.
- dAdvertising and Marketing: To deliver relevant and targeted advertisements, measure the effectiveness of our advertising campaigns, and understand how users interact with our ads.
You can control and manage cookies and similar technologies by adjusting your browser settings or using third-party tools.
This section explains how long we retain your personal information and the factors that influence our data retention practices.
- Retention Period: We retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected, including for the purposes of providing our Services, complying with legal obligations, resolving disputes, and enforcing our agreements. The retention period may vary depending on the type of information and the specific circumstances in which it was collected.
- Factors Influencing Retention: In determining the appropriate retention period for personal information, we consider factors such as:
- The nature and sensitivity of the information.
- The purpose for which the information was collected and whether that purpose has been fulfilled.
- Our contractual, legal, and regulatory obligations.
- The potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of the information.
- The feasibility of retaining the information in an aggregated or anonymized form.
- Deletion of Personal Information: Upon expiration of the applicable retention period, we will securely delete or anonymize your personal information, unless we are legally required or permitted to maintain it for a longer period.
- Data Backup and Archiving: We may retain backup copies and archival records of your personal information for a limited period, as required by our data protection and disaster recovery policies. Such backup copies and archival records will be securely stored and protected, and will be deleted or anonymized in accordance with our data retention practices.
Information Sharing and Disclosure
This section explains the circumstances under which we may share your personal information with third parties and the measures we take to protect your privacy.
- Service Providers: We may share your personal information with third-party service providers who perform functions on our behalf, such as hosting, data analysis, payment processing, customer support, and other services necessary for the operation and maintenance of our Services. These service providers are contractually bound to maintain the confidentiality, security, and integrity of your personal information and may only use your information to the extent necessary to perform their functions.
- Authorized Care Partners: We may share your personal information with your authorized care partners, who may be providing genus to you. This information sharing is limited to what is necessary for them to provide their services and support to you, and only with your explicit consent.
- Legal Requirements and Protection of Rights: We may disclose your personal information if required to do so by law or in response to a legal request, such as a subpoena, court order, or government demand. We may also disclose your personal information if we believe it is necessary to protect the rights, property, or safety of genus, our users, or others, to prevent or investigate fraud, to enforce our Terms of Service, or to comply with applicable laws and regulations.
- Aggregate or Anonymized Information: We may share aggregated or anonymized information with third parties for research, analysis, marketing, or other purposes. Such information
- Legal Requirements and Compliance: We may disclose your personal information if required to do so by law or in response to legal processes, such as court orders or subpoenas. We may also share your information to enforce our Terms of Service, protect the rights, property, or safety of our users or the public, or to investigate, prevent, or take action against suspected illegal activities or fraud.
- Aggregate and De-Identified Information: We may share aggregated, anonymized, or de-identified data with third parties for research, analytics, or other purposes, provided that the information cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
- With Your Consent: In any other instances not mentioned above, we may share your personal information with third parties if we have obtained your explicit consent to do so. We will always inform you of the purpose of the disclosure and seek your approval before sharing your information.
User Rights and Control Over Personal Information
In accordance with applicable data protection laws and regulations, you have certain rights and control over your personal information that we collect, process, and store. These rights include:
- Access: You have the right to access and receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you. To request access, please contact us at [support email address].
- Rectification: You have the right to request that we correct any inaccuracies or incomplete information in your personal data.
- Erasure: You have the right to request the deletion of your personal information in certain circumstances, such as when the data is no longer necessary for the purposes for which it was collected or when you withdraw your consent.
- Restriction of Processing: You have the right to request that we restrict the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances, such as when you contest the accuracy of the data or when you object to the processing.
- Data Portability: You have the right to receive your personal information in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format and to transmit that information to another controller without hindrance from us.
- Objection: You have the right to object to the processing of your personal information based on legitimate grounds, including for direct marketing purposes.
- Withdraw Consent: If our processing of your personal information is based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time, without affecting the lawfulness of processing based on consent before its withdrawal.
Data Security Measures
We take the security of your personal information seriously and implement appropriate technical and organizational measures to protect it from unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure, or destruction. This section outlines some of the measures we employ to safeguard your data:
- Encryption: We use industry-standard encryption techniques, such as Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) and Transport Layer Security (TLS), to protect your personal information during transmission over the internet. Additionally, we store sensitive information, such as passwords, in an encrypted format to further enhance data security.
- Access Control: We limit access to your personal information to our employees and authorized third-party service providers who need the information to perform their job duties or provide services on our behalf. These individuals are bound by confidentiality agreements and are required to comply with our data protection policies and applicable laws.
- Security Audits: We regularly review our data security practices and infrastructure to identify potential vulnerabilities and ensure that our systems and processes are up to date with the latest security standards.
- Incident Response: In the event of a data breach or security incident, we have a comprehensive incident response plan in place to promptly address and mitigate the impact on our users and the platform. We will notify affected users and the relevant authorities, as required by applicable laws.
- Employee Training: We provide ongoing training to our employees on data protection and security best practices, ensuring that they are equipped to handle your personal information responsibly and in accordance with our policies and legal requirements.
Please note that no method of transmission over the internet or electronic storage is completely secure. While we strive to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security. If you have any concerns or questions about the security of your personal information, please contact us at email@example.com.
Genus is committed to protecting the privacy of children. Our Services are not intended for use by individuals under the age of 13 (or the relevant minimum age in your country, if different). We do not knowingly collect, store, or use personal information from children under the age of 13.
If we become aware that we have collected personal information from a child under the age of 13 without parental consent, we will take steps to delete that information as soon as possible. If you are a parent or guardian and believe that your child has provided personal information to us without your consent, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org., and we will work to delete that information and terminate the child’s account, if applicable.
We encourage parents and guardians to actively monitor and guide their children’s online activities to ensure they are using online services safely and responsibly.
International Data Transfers
We take appropriate measures to ensure that your personal information remains protected and secure when it is transferred internationally, in compliance with applicable data protection laws. These measures may include implementing standard contractual clauses approved by the relevant authorities or relying on other legally permitted mechanisms for international data transfers. If you have any questions about our international data transfer practices, please contact us at email@example.com.
Links to Other Websites
Our Services may contain links to third-party websites, services, or other resources that are not owned or controlled by Genus. These links are provided for your convenience and information purposes only. We are not responsible for the content, privacy policies, or practices of any third-party websites or services. When you access these third-party websites, you do so at your own risk, and we encourage you to review the privacy policies of these websites before submitting any personal information.
Attn: Privacy Officer
We are committed to working with you to resolve any concerns you may have and will respond to your inquiry as promptly as possible.